I rented a room two weeks and a day ago and now the landlord…

Customer Question
HI I rented a...

HI I rented a room two weeks and a day ago and now the landlord is kicking me out. She called the police and they said that if i am not on the lease she has the right to put me out on the street?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I learned that there was bed bugs and i confronted the operator. I didnt sign a lease but just have receipt or verbal agreement

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

Under Maryland law, you may have an oral lease and the requirement for a written lease only subjects the landlord to certain obligations, not the tenant.

Therefore, the landlord must serve you with a notice of eviction and go through the proper eviction process in order to evict you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.