I have a question regarding the "American's with

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding the "American's with Disabilities Act," and how the State of Ohio, or more specifically, Guernsey County intend to do everything possible to make the disabled comfortable in public. I have a registered service animal and I need to have her with me in stressful situations. I know I don't need to explain my disability to you or explain WHY I need my dog with me, however within the past few months I have been approached by management staff of one certain store in this county who tell me that I am not permitted to allow my service animal to ride inside the shopping cart. This is a large store and ity is difficult for both of us...me and the dog, to walk around to all of the areas of the store to pick up the items we routinely buy. I have tried using the smaller size carts and displaying her card with her registration number on it in order to show plainly that she truly is a service animal, but I am still told that the store is liable to be fined and that I personally am in danger of getting ticketed for allowing my dog to be in the cart on her blanket or rug, which I provide for her. P

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Please explain to me why the health department of Guernsey County has the authority to refuse me the security that my dog gives me. She is very well behaved and seldom makes a noise...unless she sees another animal she is quiet and interested in looking around throughout the store. I have been taking my dog with me since she was a puppy but until March 2016 I was residing in Stark County and not one time was I ever detained or singled out by management in ANY store regarding my service animal. A couple times I did produce her identification to prove her registration, and was happily on my way and able to shop throughout the entire store without a problem.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not understand why my dog poses any threat to anyone because of "food being in the cart" that my dog has been in. I have often seen children and babies riding in the carts and they certainly have been exposed to just as much dirt as my little dog has. I have NOT HOWEVER EVEN ONE TIME EVER seen any shopper taking their food, unwrapping it and wiping it on the cart where it could come into contact with any germs that may or may not be from my service animal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My name is***** and I would like to know if there is a specific clause in the Ohio Code that specifically prohibits my service animal, (who is permitted to set on my lap on a plane, bus and can live with me no matter what the pet policy is in any rental location because she is not just a pet, she aides me in shopping without have severe panic attacks, agoraphobic issues and my fear of crowds. Should I be singled out by this store without regards ***** ***** rights as a disabld d indivitdd ci

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 9 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

There is no such law in Ohio that prevents you from engaging your service animal in that way. See Ohio Revised Code Section 955.43.

You can file complaint against the store with your Ohio Civil Rights Commission and or the U.S. Attorney General's Office, Civil Rights Division.

Best wishes,