How can I evict a weekly boarder. No written contract just a…

Customer Question
How can I evict...

How can I evict a weekly boarder. No written contract just a verbal agreement.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, but I would like to know how the process works so I can file.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the relationship is no longer satisfactory and I want to discontinue it.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 9 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

How long has the renter occupied the unit?

Almost 1 year
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 9 months ago

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to formulate a response.

Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 9 months ago

In order to evict a tenant without a lease (which is considered a month-to-month lease), the landlord must provide the tenant with an eviction notice. The eviction notice must give the tenant 30 days to move out. If the eviction is based on non-payment of rent and the landlord wishes to keep the tenant, then they may serve them with a 3 day notice.

If the tenant does not move out within the time period or pay the rent, then the landlord must file an unlawful detainer suit against the tenant. There will be a hearing at which the tenant may present evidence to dispute the eviction. However, an eviction of a month-to-month lease will be granted by the court. Once the court has ruled in the landlord's favor, the landlord can serve the tenant with a writ of possession and request the assistance of the sheriff's office to evict the tenant.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Thanks very much
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 9 months ago

You are very welcome.

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi