How soon after the person who formed a revocable trust dies,

Customer Question
How soon after the...

How soon after the person who formed a revocable trust dies, does the trust usually dissolve? Or can it go on indefinitely for years with the survivors(beneficiaries) as Trustees? Say if someone wanted to live in the family home and rent from the Trust or buy the home on installment sale from the Trust?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Wiscoonsin

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

My elderly mother seems to think that her will is not enough and thinks she needs a Revocable Trust to insure that one of her sons can remain in the family home until his death and THEN the property would have to be sold...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was wondering if a FLP or a FLLP would be a better vehicle to have this happen rather than a Revocable Trust...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Actually, the best thing to do is to grant a life estate to the person she wants to be able to live in the house. That will give that person the right to stay there until death. At the person's death, the life estate automatically terminates and the title automatically vests in the people to whom the remiander interest was given. Your mother can do that now or at her death...either alternative will assure the person can remain in the house. :)

Thanks so much!

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney