Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I went to contract on a home in June. Things have been held

I went to contract on a home in June. Things have been held because of open permits. My lawyer said the owner may be changing his mind. What recourse do I have if the owner wants to back out of the sale. Home is located on Long Island ny.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, parties to a home sale contract or not bound by the agreement until closing. This simply means that once both parties have gone through the inspection and title search and have ensured that there is money available and they both sign on the dotted line that the home is going to transfer ownership, then the contract is enforceable. Up until that point there could be a number of things that could go wrong, including open permits, that could end up frustrating the sale. Therefore, if the owner changes his mind, Unfortunately they would be able to back out of the deal without any penalty. The only way that you would be able to get out of this as if there is something written to the contract that says that they have to provide you some sort of notice before they back out of the deal or they have to pay you some money if they're going to back out of the deal. What I would recommend doing is working with your lawyer and the buyer to see if there is some sort of protection or some sort of incentive that the owner is willing to engage with 2 help secure their participation. Many times people will pay more money up front to help ensure that they try not to back out of the deal later on.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.