I need to kno what is the maximum jail time one can get fir…

Customer Question
I need to kno...

I need to kno what is the maximum jail time one can get fir harassment and black mail

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No someone just said they were gonna post some private pics of me around my job and children school so I need to threat legal action

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

So another person has threatened you with posting pics of your children at school and of you at work. Where in Missouri? What are they trying to accomplish by posting these pictures? I can give you the sentences for the actions you mention above, however, there my be more depending on the motivation.

People can post pictures of others taken in public where there is no expectation of privacy, however, this clearly seems aid at harassing you.

Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXXVIII CRIMES AND PUNISHMENT; PEACE OFFICERS AND PUBLIC DEFENDERS
Chapter 565 Offenses Against the Person
Section 565.090 Harassment.

565.090. 1. A person commits the crime of harassment if he or she:

(1) Knowingly communicates a threat to commit any felony to another person and in so doing frightens, intimidates, or causes emotional distress to such other person; or

(2) When communicating with another person, knowingly uses coarse language offensive to one of average sensibility and thereby puts such person in reasonable apprehension of offensive physical contact or harm; or

(3) Knowingly frightens, intimidates, or causes emotional distress to another person by anonymously making a telephone call or any electronic communication; or

(4) Knowingly communicates with another person who is, or who purports to be, seventeen years of age or younger and in so doing and without good cause recklessly frightens, intimidates, or causes emotional distress to such other person; or

(5) Knowingly makes repeated unwanted communication to another person; or

(6) Without good cause engages in any other act with the purpose to frighten, intimidate, or cause emotional distress to another person, cause such person to be frightened, intimidated, or emotionally distressed, and such person's response to the act is one of a person of average sensibilities considering the age of such person.

2. Harassment is a class A misdemeanor unless:

(1) Committed by a person twenty-one years of age or older against a person seventeen years of age or younger; or

(2) The person has previously pleaded guilty to or been found guilty of a violation of this section, or of any offense committed in violation of any county or municipal ordinance in any state, any state law, any federal law, or any military law which, if committed in this state, would be chargeable or indictable as a violation of any offense listed in this subsection.

In such cases, harassment shall be a class D felony." http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2013/title-xxxviii/chapter-565/section-565.090

Punishment for a class D felony

"Class D felony

A Class D felony is punishable by up to seven years in prison, or one year in jail. The court also can impose a fine up to $10,000 or twice the amount of financial gain to the offender." http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/felony-offense/missouri-felony-class.htm

Let me provide black mail. One moment please.

"Extortion and bribery are serious white collar crimes, often charged at the federal level. Extortion, often referred to as "blackmail," involves attempting to obtain property or money through threats of violence, accusations of a crime against the intended victim, or even the revelation of information about the intended victim that could be damaging to his/her reputation, relationships, or career. " http://www.ockclaw.com/legal-services/criminal-defense/extortion-bribery-kansas-city/

Extortion and bribery fall under the same felony and are prosecuted as a a theft offense depending on the circumstances. These are a class D felony at a minimum.

Where in Missouri is this occurring so I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in your area?

10 years depending on the circumstances would be the maximum.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Are you online with me? Do you have any additional questions for me?

I wanted to follow up with you to see if you have any additional questions for me.

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney