I'm contacting you on the behalf of my son that has a

Customer Question
Hi I'm contacting...

Hi I'm contacting you on the behalf of my son that has a horrible disease both of his legs he moved in his new apartment about 2 months ago he was only there less than 4 days and he started being ate Alive by some kind of insects Department refuses do anything about it they said that they don't see anything so they're not doing any they're not going to accommodate him he's had the apartment staying claimed he's through right every bit of his furniture and he still being a that I picked him up on Sunday and his face look like a balloon with big old festering sores from whatever's eating them up in that apartment

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Tomball Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We are at our wits end my son's going to hire a company to come in with heaters to burn out whatever it is in that apartment but he lives on $729 a month there's no way that we can afford that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes all he wants to do is be able to live in his apartment in peace he's been trying to find places to stay Here There and Everywhere but he's paying rent at that apartment what can we do to get them to help us

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement.

To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase. If this doesn't work, your son is probably going to have to go to court or try to enter to some sort of private mediation. it would be of even more helpful if your son could get some sort of expert opinion on this information so that way if he does have to go to court, he could prove his case a little bit more easily. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.