I cosigned my cousin for a car, and he has been making late…

Customer Question
Hi I cosigned my...

Hi I cosigned my cousin for a car, and he has been making late payments that caused my credit score to fall below 600. He missed payments twice and the bank took money from my account, and he later on gave me back. The bank advised me to have him look for a different cosigner or give me the car and use it since I m the primary buyer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

PA, 2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How can I recover the car since he's not willing to let it go? I called the police and told me to go to the court

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unfortunately when a party cosigns for another party they are legally obligated under that contract unless the lender releases them-but they usually require a replacement cosignor.

If the primary borrower defaults on the loan, the cosignor may sue in civil court for damages. The court may order the primary borrower to transfer the car to the cosignor but typically they will enter a monetary judgment for the amount owing.

The police won't get involved in contractual issues such as this so the court is the best option to seek a remedy if the parties cannot agree.

Small claims is appropriate for cases less than $12,000 -please see here:

https://www.pabar.org/clips/bringingsuitBeforeDJ.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: