I am currently filling out a 14/30 for repairs that have…

Customer Question
I am currently filling...

I am currently filling out a 14/30 for repairs that have gone ignored for 8 months. Code Services for the city did an inspection and gave them a notice, and they just began repairs, but do a little here every few days and a little there every few days. What is considered good faith effort? They have begun the repairs, but I fear them doing little by little and getting continual extensions. Can I still submit a 14/30, and can a date besides the due date for rent be used?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Code violation was reported, property management received the notice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have begun repairs, but they have claimed to have "fixed" my issues (flooding in living room from pipes/foundation cracks) many times before over this 8 month period. My health is suffering and I would like to break my lease.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 11 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case. You can break lease on notice for failure to obtain habitable premises. You may also pursue back rent paid.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!