How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In SC, I won in small claims $6000 and I got a "nulla bona"

This answer was rated:

In SC, I won in small claims $6000 and I got a "nulla bona" from the sheriff, I read about supplemental proceedings but I don't what's next.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Are you trying to collect on the garnishment by execution or by wage assignment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's money from a job from an individual, but I wasnt an employee. I guess is garnishment.

Thank you;

so a nula bona means that the sheriff could not locate any non exempt property (property that is eligible to be sold at sheriff's sale, with the proceeds applied to an outstanding judgment -which is good for 10 years).

If the sheriff comes back empty handed, then the next option is to file a petition with the courts for a debtor's exam -this is done by filing a show cause petition and order of reference. This allows the judgment creditor to question the judgment debtor as to his/her assets (location, amount, etc) so that it is easier to attach those assets.

Unfortunately that does require more time and effort by the judgment creditor so if one knows the judgment debtor is "judgment proof" then they may reconsider the viability of pursuing it further - unless the judgment debtor comes into non exempt assets in the future.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's got money and assets, but everything is at his sister's name. Can I do that myself? Since $6000 is not enough to hire a lawyer.

Yes a party can conduct the debtor's exam themselves (in pro per) but if everything is in a third party's name it is difficult to prove fraudulent transfer; if there is a fraudulent transfer (designed to avoid creditors) the court can "void" those transactions since both parties are complicit in the fraud.

legalgems and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you