I have a student athlete that is being bullied and harassed…

Customer Question
I have a student...

I have a student athlete that is being bullied and harassed by her coach. Do i have a case to sue or should I bring suit? I have talked to Coach, principal, and AD already? Filed Level 1 Complaint with school district and waiting for scheduled conference.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?

Texas and approximately 2 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we just filed a Level 1 complaint with the district(along with 2 other parents) on Friday. But I just don't know if they are taking it serious enough. 4 starting players from this team left the program all within 5 days of each other.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Is the bullying based on race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.? In other words, is there a civil rights element to the harassment?

Is there physical or sexual abuse involved in the harassment?

My daughter is the only African American student athlete in the program. She is being singled out and put in front of the group and made an example of. This has happened on several occasions. Also this coach has used extreme measures of punishment. Like running and "bear crawling" on hot turf(in 100 degree Texas heat) so much so some girls had blisters on their hands.

Thank you for the additional information.

Since your daughter is a member of a protected class and may be, or is apparently, being singled out for that reason, you can sue under the Civil Rights Act.

So, yes, if this is not being taken seriously then it is time to get the courts involved by filing suit against the district and the coach.

Civil rights litigation is not simple and it is recommended you retain an attorney to represent your daughter in this.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question satisfactorily?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!