I need to consult with a business attorney ASAP. i need to…

Customer Question
I need to consult...

I need to consult with a business attorney ASAP.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I need to consult with a business attorney right away

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Your legal query hasn't been defined as of yet.

Which State are you in and what is your business law question today ?

Looking forward to being of assistance.

Attorney Bill

I'm in Pennsylvania. I am having a serious dispute with a client I want to dump. I have been in business for 37 years with a bookkeeping & accounting business. I've known this person for almost as long and began doing his bookkeeping, bill paying and taxes since 2010. We worked together in the mid 80'a also, but I dumped him back in the early 90's due to his abusive behavior.
He owes me money for service dating back to August 28, 2017, I told him that when he pays me in full, in person and in cash ($360.00) I will release his bills and records to him. Until then I will do nothing for him or his business.

Thanks for the additional information.

You have no duty in law to keep a client unless you have a contractual obligation to continue.

In the later case your early termination should be covered by your express contract.

Your obligations to your client are covered under your professional association if any.

Typically the association of chartered accounts gives you the right to discontinue service to an abusive client.

We are here to help.

I've opened up your call request to other attorneys as I'm unable to fulfill this.

Remember to rate positively today and follow up where needed.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

As I'm not an employee I rely on your positive feedback to get a credit.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

I typed in the number at which I want you to call, but you called my cell phone. Please call me at(###) ###-####Thank you.
The issue is that he wants his records back without paying me. I told him that I will not return his records until he pays me in full in cash and in person. At that time I'll give him his bills and a thumb drive of his records.
He has a proven record of not paying people who he's angry at, (lawyers, IRS, etc). He's claiming I cannot withhold his records because he didn't pay me. I want to know if he's correct.Also the credit card I gave JustAnswer isn't working even though it is not a problematic per my bank's records. I'm working on the problem now.
Umder the code of federal regulations you will need to return those records necessary for IRS compliance so that your client can make the necessary tax returns; You would also be prohibited from withholding records under professional reaponsibility codes of practice.
For past debt you can file a small claims suit, or civil suit against the client.
Just a rwminder to rate positively before your exit.
Best
Attorney Bill
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer