I had an agreement with a friend that if I provided him with…

I had an agreement with...
I had an agreement with a friend that if I provided him with computer hardware, I'd be co-owner of his group. He shorted me of that title. What legal case do I have for getting the hardware back?
9/19/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. There are two cases that you could have in this breach of contract situation. One is for the monetary value of the items that you put into the business, and the other would be an "injunction" (a legal court order) to return the property that you contributed to the business. Now depending on the value of the materials, it's something that you might be able to bring in small claims court, but only for the monetary value of the items. If you wanted to sue for the return of the items, you'd have to bring it in a court that has injunctive authority, and that's a court of general jurisdiction. Such a court would require a higher level of pleading, procedure, evidence, etc... That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with breach of contract cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I do have an informal document that explains the situation better, if that would help you be more specific. I need to know what else I would need to gather as evidence besides what I put together in the document before I go to a local lawyer and I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if you think I can actually win this case. This is the document https://docs.google.com/document/d/19EBhCBV6GMQ1tFU3NjpskVQiuiFSm9t26gBtLFHyBUM/edit?usp=sharing
This is an updated link that will allow you to comment directly on the document https://docs.google.com/document/d/19EBhCBV6GMQ1tFU3NjpskVQiuiFSm9t26gBtLFHyBUM/edit?usp=sharing

I can't comment off of this site, per the terms of service of the site. And document review is outside of the scope of this question anyway. But it's all based upon what was promised to you when you bought in, and what you can prove. Look through your emails, texts, etc... to see if you have anything in writing that establishes the existence of a contract.

You can also attempt to send a demand letter first. Send a demand letter demanding return of the equipment within 30 days, otherwise you will pursue legal action against him, seeking that amount plus any additional damages as allowed by law. Send this letter certified, return receipt requested, as well as a copy sent regular mail. Keep a copy for yourself, as well as the return receipt number so that you can show the court that you made a demand for the goods.

. Otherwise, if you can establish (prove) in court what you alleged there, I think that you would have a good case.

Ok. Just a few more questions. When you say "prove what you alleged" do you mean just the existence of a contract, or that I have been paying the current bills as well? The other question I have is because the messaging service we used at the time automatically removes messages once the inbox gets too full, if they do not have any backup records, would any witnesses be able to fill in, such as the other co-owners?

The nature of the agreement (what the contract actually said). As for paying the bills, that's part of showing that you were fulfilling your role. And yes, anything that you could use (including testimony, etc... of others) could be used.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney