How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34486
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother let a friend move into her basement with no lease.

This answer was rated:

My mother let a friend move into her basement with no lease. They have had a falling out and she has asked him to move out. He is refusing and she is now uncomfortable in her own home. She is going to serve him with a Notice to Quit (I hope this is the right form) but needs to know how much notice she needs to give him.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Just to confirm, there is no written agreement between them, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'd like to continue to text

Thank you for the additional information. Without a written agreement, your mother can terminate the tenancy with 7 days written notice.

Then if he refuses to leave, she will need to file a forcible detainer in the county court, obtain an order of ejectment and place it with the sheriff for execution.

The sheriff will come and remove the tenant and his possessions.

If your mother needs to go to court, she may want to retain an attorney. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank-you, your answer was very helpful.

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.