I need help with Massachusetts probate. Can you help? I nwas…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with Massachusetts probate. Can you help?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I nwas appointed personal representative for my mother's estate 10 years ago. Now additional assets have been discovered. I need to know if I can reopen her case, or do I need to start over, but way too late.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We did not file probate before, as the assets were below the limit.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 9 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

If a probate was never opened what case would you be reopening?

The appointment as personal representative
Hello ?

You would reopen the case based on undistributed assets although you would almost certainly need a lawyer at this point. The lawyer will file a motion to reopen and an amendment to the original papers to take into account the new property. It will essentially be a new case altogether but you are not supposed to do two cases on the same estate and so you would have to open the old one and amend it.

What info would I need to get the old case reopened? And where might I find it?
Dwayne?

You would need the cause number of the original case (which is on either the documents you received or which you can get from the clerk of court in the court where you filed for personal representative).

However, the attorney can find all that for you so when you talk to them they will just ask you a few question about locating the court and docket number which will give them all they need to start the case.

Please note that this a complicated procedure and there are no book or forms readily available to assist you with this. The forms have to be drafted from scratch since each case has a unique set of facts.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Thanks Dwayne.
Are you saying that you cannot do that research and work for me?
Dwayne ??

No, as the click-through pages on this website explains we answer questions but we are not allowed to actually accept employment from any of the customers of the website. You will have to locate a local attorney to do that.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Probate.