Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I own a small veterinary practice and I have a substantial

I own a small veterinary practice and I have a substantial amount of $ that clients owe to me. A large percentage of my clients are low income. I have decided to continue to allow my clients to make payments. There are many of the clients that would benefit from charitable donations. I am wondering if I can create a non-profit for charity to my clients. I realize that the income would come to me through the business, but I am hoping that it is not a conflict of interest to do this. As it stands now, I am the only veterinarian in 2 counties that is accepting payments from clients. Because I am an S corporation, I am taking the financial liability on personally for the 2 hundred thousand client debt that I carry. If I could start an non-profit and raise money for qualified low income clients, I could keep them from going to collections and distribute the financial burden to several people/businesses instead of just to me personally.
JA: Since business law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the corporation is registered in?
Customer: Washington State, Snohomish County
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: No, I am beginning the exploratory process now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am willing to continue as things are. We are improving our collections procedures, but I am hoping to provide more assistance then I currently can provide. We are now starting to turn away cases because of the financial burden on the small business.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I read your facts, is there a specific question with which I can assist?

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The questions are:
- Can I form a non-profit that is designed to assist my clients only? There are several clinics that send patients to me for treatment because of individual financial situations. I would want those clients to be eligible also if the treatment is done at our facility.
- Is it a conflict of interest to start a non-profit to benefit only my clients? It would then benefit me indirectly by using the non-profit to pay the bills to our facility.

I'm sorry but I'm going to opt out in favor of allowing a Washington State attorney who can better assist you.

Hello, I am a new attorney and I can help with your issue. The answer to your first question is yes, you can form a nonprofit to assist your clients only. However, it is important that you follow the necessary procedures to register a nonprofit in the state of Washington. For example, you will need to go through the regular procedures that are required to form a corporation in Washington State. This is similar to the practice that you started. The only difference is that you would also need to apply in Washington as a non-profit. The reason is because Washington law prohibits organizations from soliciting donations in the state without first being registered. If you click here you can see more information on how to get started with that. This is from a trusted source.

As far as whether it is a conflict of interest to start a nonprofit to benefit your clients only, there's not going to be an issue with that. Nonprofits are generally formed to benefit a small group of people that the nonprofit wishes to help. If it is for your specific clients to help them get their bills paid to take care of their pets, then you're not going to be doing anything illegal. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed to practice before state and federal court