I have a roommate refusing to leave my home unless I pay her…

Customer Question
I have a roommate...

I have a roommate refusing to leave my home unless I pay her $10,000 to leave her name is ***** ***** deed to my home

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/18/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. If her name is ***** ***** how is she a roommate? Why did you add her to title?

in case I died

Thank you for the reply. From a legal standpoint, if she is on the deed/title to the home, she has a legal right and interest in it. As such, she does not have to leave, if she does not want to since she has an ownership interest in it. When you added her to title, you allowed her to become an owner, instead of a tenant or guest, so if you want her out, you can buy her out and in exchange, remove her from title or try and sue her, to get your interest back. However, if you did this voluntarily, in the event of your passing, you can not go and just remove her at this time, if there is an issue. You do not have to pay her anything but at the same time, she can remain, if she wants.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!