I WAS WITH A GUY IN LAS VEGAS THAT DIDNT TELL ME HE WAS HIV…

Customer Question
I WAS WITH A...

I WAS WITH A GUY IN LAS VEGAS THAT DIDNT TELL ME HE WAS HIV POSITIVE WHAT DO I DO TO PRESS CHARGES

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?

THIS HAPPENED IN NEVADA AND NO CHARGES HAVE BEEN FILED YET

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO I HAVE NOT ALSO I AM A CA RESIDENT

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure never been in this situation

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/18/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. One moment please...

This is a crime in Nevada, and as that's where the action occurred, this is where you would report it. Nev. Rev. Stat. § 201.205 Felony: 2 to 10 years imprisonment & fine up to $10,000, and/or Misdemeanor and/or Sentence Enhancement.
A person who has received actual notice that he/she tested positive for HIV and intentionally, knowingly or willfully engages in conduct that is intended or likely to transmit the disease to another person is guilty of a class B felony.

You would need to contact the Las Vegas police (non emergency line) and report this as a crime, and indicate that you wish to press charges against this person. Again, the jurisdiction is Nevada (Las Vegas specifically) as that's where the incident occurred, and they'd be the ones to go forward.

You could also have a civil case for this under negligence per se, assault, failure to inform, etc... That being said, you need to contact an attorney in the area that deals with personal injury cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in the area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in the area, and what you should do next.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Again, please note that I need you to rate this to close it out. Did you have any other questions? If not please rate it so that I will get credit for the time and effort that I spent on your question.

Hello?

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney