I own and run small business in Kentucky, my credit card…

Customer Question
I own and run...

I own and run small business in Kentucky, my credit card machine did not batch for 5 months before we caught it, now bank says that they wants to hold money for up to 120 days

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Kentucky, march 17th, my office manager was killed in auto accident and we didn't catch problem

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We batched machine September 11 and charges went through

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know, been in business with this business since 1997,same bankand have good track record and am nowhere near overdrawn

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 11 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, the bank may be allowed to do this. This is because undoubtedly, the contract that governs your business with the bank allows it to hold money from "questionable" transactions for 120 days. This is not unusual. When the bank sees so many transactions come through so fast, it is going to hold it to investigate that it is not a scam. This happens all the time.

You can however hold your merchant account liable as a third party responsible for any damage caused to your business by the batching problem and the consequential hold on money by the bank.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.