I received a summons for court tomorrow about a medical

Customer Question
debt. This debt claims to...
I received a summons for court tomorrow about a medical debt. This debt claims to be from Colorado in 2012 and 2015. This law firm Is saying a debt is owed, but the hospital is saying the hospital was paid. I am unsure of the contractual obligation to them. Also I am unsure of the statute of limitations. Lastly I have not seen an itemized bill from them after I sent a certified letter telling them to validate the debt. How do I answer under simplified procedure?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Are you saying you were served with a summons for a lawsuit and have to appear in court tomorrow for the hearing?

.

How long ago were you served?

.

Is the law firm stating that they bought the debt from the hospital?

.

.

thanks

I am unsure but they claim they are entitled to collect based on Quantum Merit and the defendants are subject to the collection due to expenses of the family... are chargeable upon the property of both husband and wife or either of them and a relation there to maybe suedjointly or separately

I don't understand your response...

.

Did a sheriff or process server hand you a summons that says you have to be in a certain court tomorrow?

.

What date did you get served with the summons, if you have been?

a server did about two weeks ago. I have been trying to figure out the medical debt they are talking about. The attorney I would normally ask about this had a stroke.

Ok, then if court is tomorrow, you are too late to file an Answer... That has to be done within the time allowed in the Summons, which is normally 21 days from the date the summons is served.. So if you have court tomorrow, that sounds like you were served more than 2 weeks ago because your 21 day response time wouldn't have elapsed yet..

.

And their comments about "in quantum meruit" which is an equitable claim which means "as much as he is entitled to"... and the part about family and husband and wife makes me think it is about a medical debt incurred by you or your spouse.

.

So did your spouse incur some debts back then that weren't paid?

.

And the SOL is 3 years in CO, so if the last debt was in 2015, they still have until 2018 to sue..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney