I missed a court date for a debt collection. Could there be…

Customer Question
I missed a court...

I missed a court date for a debt collection. Could there be a warrant out for my arrest?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Illinois and I'm not sure if a warrant was issue. Is that something that can happen if I miss the court date?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Only about filing bankruptcy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago

Based on the information you provided, you are dealing with a civil matter. Unless there is a court order for you to do something there would not be a warrant for your arrest. If the hearing was a post-trial hearing for you to be questioned regarding your assets, in order for the creditor to be able to determine how to collect the debt from you, the court may issue sanctions and penalties for your failure to appear. If this was the actual trial date, then the court will issue a default judgement. A default judgement is as if the other party succeeded at proving up their case at trial, but were not required to do so. You may present a motion to the court to set aside a default judgement, but this requires a good cause for your failure to appear.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi