Can a person lie about a will. Telling there isn't one &

Customer Question
Can a person lie...

Can a person lie about a will. Telling there isn't one & later you find out

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They knew there was one. They also told us they were executor, because they were the oldest.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/17/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. If a person lies about a will and you take an action in reliance on their statements, then they could be liable for fraud Additionally, if there is a will and you were to receive property from the will, then you should strongly consider demanding that the will go through probate, which is where the validity of the will established through the courts. You could file a motion with a local probate court asking them to establish the will and you can get the proceeds of the will once they establish its validity.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.