When does a circuit court want a "line"? Adding a name or…

When does a circuit court...
When does a circuit court want a "line"? Adding a name or fixing an address? Why can't we just submit a revised form? Are there rules for when a line needs to be filed and how to do it?
9/17/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Which court are you referring to? What state?

Circuit Court for DE

Hi again.

If you just need to correct a typo, such as an address, or even to add a new address, then you can use a line. But if you are making new legal arguments, or if you are adding people to the lawsuit that were not originally added, then a line is insufficient. You would need to amend the pleading. Basically, a line is a way to inform the court of something like a new address. It's for informational purposes. But it is not used for making substantive amendments to pleadings.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

last thing: if I send a line fixing an address, do I have to send a copy of the line to the other side?

Hello again. Yes, you should send a copy of the line to the other side. You should send a copy of anything that you file to the other side.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Ty!
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney