I was 8 years with the father of my two kids he gets paid…

Customer Question
Hi I was 8...

Hi I was 8 years with the father of my two kids he gets paid around 3,500 a month and I get 1,800 a month if I decide to put child support on him ,can I get an estimate of how much he would have to give Me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also we have lived in our current place for 3 years and he wants me to leave what's my rights?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/17/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Has he refused to try and settle this with you and pay support?

He wants me to move and all he offered was to give me his car but he hasn't mentioned on giving me anything for the kids. I would like to come into an agreement with him but the most he would want to give me is probably $400 a month. I think this because 4 years ago we went through a seperation and thats what he would give me but this time around I won't settle for less of what my kids deserve.

Thank you for the reply. The State of CA uses a formula and the statute below, to determine the amount of child support. I have provided you a link below for a calculator, which you can use and enter the figures, to get an idea of what could be paid.

Family Code Section 4053: In implementing the statewide uniform guideline for child support, the courts shall adhere to the following principles:

(a) A parent’s first and principal obligation is to support his or her minor children according to the parent’s circumstances and station in life.
(b) Both parents are mutually responsible for the support of their children.
(c) The guideline takes into account each parent’s actual income and level of responsibility for the children.
(d) Each parent should pay for the support of the children according to his or her ability.
(e) The guideline seeks to place the interests of children as the state’s top priority.
(f) Children should share in the standard of living of both parents. Child support may therefore appropriately improve the standard of living of the custodial household to improve the lives of the children.
(g) Child support orders in cases in which both parents have high levels of responsibility for the children should reflect the increased costs of raising the children in two homes and should minimize significant disparities in the children’s living standards in the two homes.
(h) The financial needs of the children should be met through private financial resources as much as possible.
(i) It is presumed that a parent having primary physical responsibility for the children contributes a significant portion of available resources for the support of the children.
(j) The guideline seeks to encourage fair and efficient settlements of conflicts between parents and seeks to minimize the need for litigation.
(k) The guideline is intended to be presumptively correct in all cases, and only under special circumstances should child support orders fall below the child support mandated by the guideline formula.
(l) Child support orders must ensure that children actually receive fair, timely, and sufficient support reflecting the state’s high standard of living and high costs of raising children compared to other states.

http://www.childsup.ca.gov/resources/calculatechildsupport.aspx