Second opinion] My employment ended with my company and my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My employment ended...
Second opinion] My employment ended with my company and my separation date with company is August 13th, 2017.I am on my STEM OPT right now, which is valid until (12/31/2018). I got my H1-B approval this year, which says that my H1 B status will be valid from (Oct 1, 2017) this year as Change of Status.Can I work back on my STEM OPT which is valid until (12/31/2018)? or my STEM OPT will be lost?IMPORTANT: My STEM OPT is valid until 12/31/2018, and my main concern is that I don't want to loose my STEM OPT option to work. Please advise me on this, what should I do ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/17/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Once your H1B was approved, this automatically changed your status and your OPT was cancelled by USCIS. So your OPT is no longer valid even though it is stamped as expiring 12/31/2018. You cannot use your OPT and if you did not want to lose it, you should not have applied for the H1B. It is too late now I am afraid and you will need to work only under the H1B.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.