My friend has been in the U.S.(Florida) with her card for 27…

Customer Question
My friend has been...

My friend has been in the U.S.(Florida) with her green card for 27 years after residing in Canada. She has been told she can not go back to Canada due to the fact she is in arrears for spousal support of less than $3,000.00. Her father is 90 and she has been notified he is dying. What information can you give us for her situation? She needs to see her father prior to his death.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She resides in Fl. She was born in Canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I am a member of this site. She was notified 10 min. ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We need to know how to get her back to Canada and is it true she is arrears it would keep her from returning. She can not get a passport for this reason also.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/16/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid there is some bad news for her in that the country of Canada takes child support obligations as serious as the US. If they issue a child support warrant for her then they would stop her at the border, but as long as she is a Canadian citizen they CANNOT refuse her entry into Canada. If they put out a warrant for criminal non-support she may be arrested on the warrant at the border, but she cannot be denied entry if she is indeed still a Canadian citizen, but her passport could be revoked meaning she may have a hard time getting out of Canada when she gets back in unless she pays off what is due to get her passport released.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.