I went to school over seas for medical school, at the

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is***** went to school over seas for medical school, at the Caribbean to be exact. This school used to receive financial aid from the department of education from the United States. This year in March, they lost the privilege of receiving the financial aid due to not meeting the requirements of students passing the USMLE. I wasn't the only student that was affected by this, I believe this school committed fraud, as to just with my semester alone they were receiving more than $300,000 dollars and with all the semester combined over $2 million dollars from all the international students. Due to the cut in the financial aid, all students who received the aid were affected because now we aren't able to continue our studies since it is too expensive, and now apart from the debt that we have, schools aren't accepting the credits for the courses that I already took.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if i have a case against them

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, in order to sue you have to prove somehow they broke their contract with you and/or committed intentional fraud. Right now all you are saying is they did not keep a high enough pass rate on the medical boards, which is just as much indicative of the student and could be said (for defense counsel argument) that the school presented the material and the student failed to learn it and as such the school filled its obligation. The defense will also argue that the majority of students that attend these schools do not qualify to gain admission in US schools, so that is why their test scores and pass rates are lower, so there is no fraud involved (they cannot argue people go there because it is cheaper, because they have become as expensive or more expensive than US schools).

So this is not an easy case just because they lost financial aid due to low pass rates, since that alone would not give you a case. You would need to prove intentional fraud on their part to have a successful case.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney