My son was in a super market parking lot exiting the

Customer Question
My son was in...

My son was in a super market parking lot exiting the premises in his car. A large 18 wheeler was attempting to enter the driveway/entrance (a narrow, one vehicle only entrance / exit). So that the transport could enter he had to back up. He backed up and stopped. The transport needed more room to enter. He checked again in his rear view mirror and backed up again impacting an auto parts store vehicle on a run. However, as I looked at his damage I noticed that it was not his bumper that took the impact however the right rear side of his bumper impacted with the passenger side door area of the parts vehicle. This would indicate there were two movements a) his car and b) the auto parts vehicle that has elongated scrapes as well as a dent. The auto parts driver called the police. The police arrived and took a report. My son states he stated he backed in to the auto parts unit. I protest this as the damage looks as if the driver of the parts vehicle was in motion going across the path of the exit and actually grazed my son's car as he was backing up. I believe the adult parties involved took advantage of a minor with no prior car crash experience and since he was nervous admitted to backing in to her parts car. In reality I believe that she was at fault for trying to "skirt" around the traffic hold up. Also, the parts driver was mildly panicking about being drug tested by her company which is a national company. Just because a driver is backing up does not necessarily mean they are at fault if there happens to be an impact. I believe there would be recourse against the auto parts company for a) not drug testing their employee if in fact that is their policy and b) if the employee is found to have substance then there should be recourse as well as impaired driving could have played a part in this where as a "non-impaired" driver would have taken "normal" steps to back up as well to allow the delivery transport in to the supermarket lot for delivery. What say ye?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Ohio. 2010

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Police took a report at the scene. Our son a minor was not given the opportunity by the attending officer to call us the parents. The officer was not abusive and did in fact show empathy by saying to our son, "It's okay, I backed in to a car when I was young too." That's all well and good however, this contributed to our son feeling like he had to admit to wrong doing or bad judgement as compared to and adult that may just state the facts as they happened with out admitting to anything good or bad, right wrong, or indifferent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Let me see... No citation or "ticket" was issued to either party.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Was your son stopped or in motion when the impact occurred?

Tina, Lawyer