Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a question about company policy that states that

I have a question...

I have a question about company policy that states that husbands and wives stay in separate hotels during conferences which put a strain on my marriage and is leading to a divorce (parties in clubs in Cancun late nights with husbands forbidden from witnessing). Can company policy own your wife at night in Jamaica till 3am in the club and not letting her sleep with her husband?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Company is German, New York regional office but we moved out of New York to Portland Maine a while back (she works mostly from home). We in philly now, her next conference is CA next week and she wants me to come

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

9/15/2017
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

There is no US law that would prohibit this...that is, if company is paying for travel? The company is free to set the rules associated with the travel. So they could, for example, agree to pay hotel costs if the couples stay in different hotels. That would be permissible.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

If I want to find a lawyer to fight this on the basis that it is unjust to separate husband and wives because those are required meetings to attend and it would be unjust to require an employee to travel to Europe for a week and support herself and pay for everything herself, who would I turn to? Basically, who would someone turn to, to overturn an established law, like with civil rights and things that infringe on personal relationship by the company? Essentially sexism in this place because imagine if your boss told you that this Friday through the weekend, you're not allowed to sleep with your wife because he is flying her to Europe for a party all night long? No one would say that to a man but it is a policy and women believe in following orders because they fear repercussions, would you? I'm fighting on the basis of injustice, business doesn't own the nights and women should not be treated like this.

The site policy prohibits me from representing you...so I can not take this. And honestly, I do not see this as something where you would win...this is not a civil rights issue. At all...it is an employment law issue.
But if the goal is to fight this, you can likely find an attorney here

https://www.avvo.com

Basically no law prohibits this yet, many laws need establishing when we evolve as civilization

I do not disagree with you...and it may be your action can move the law. But there is a cost to this (you have to pay the lawyer to fight this)...so you have to do the cost / benefit analysis

P. Simmons, Attorney
P. Simmons, Attorney