My wife's brothers purchased us a home in her name. now he…

Customer Question
My wife's brothers purchased...

My wife's brothers purchased us a home in her name. now he want to make it a life time deed after a year so upon her death it goes back to him. She is not going to do it. Can he sue for ownership of her house?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet' his lawyer wrote a letter for us to vacate the property in thirty days or he will take us to court stating that she did not pay for it that he can legally take it back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The house is totally in my wife's name.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Just to clarify, title is currently held in her name only?

If the property is held solely in your wife's name then her brother may not change the title without her consent. Nor does he have grounds to assert in lawful claim to change the title by suing.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!