My brother found case number where I am a defendant. I had…

Customer Question
Hello my brother found...

Hello my brother found case number ***** I am a defendant. I had no idea this is happening. what are my options there is a case set on trial call on 9/26/2017 I'm the defendant and it's TD Bank USa- how do I get information and help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

IL cook county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There is case information summary for case number: 2017-M4-004526

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think it maybe a target credit card- I had it on automatic billing and didn't realize it stopped- I was sent to collections but then I started receiving bills again so I've been paying. sum is about 1800$

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. How did your brother "find" this information? Have you contacted the court?

online and no I have not

Thank you. One moment please...

First of all, you can go to the following site to see how your case is going: http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/?section=CASEINFOPage&CASEINFOPage=2400. You can search by case number, where you put in each of the three portions of the case number ***** the 3 boxes there. Look it up, and you'll see that there has been no date of service or summons filed. That means that there can be no proceeding on the case. For ANY case there has to be a service of process, even if it's through publication in a newspaper. So they still have to serve you. Now you can still respond, but you have no need to. If they have not served you by the time the trial date comes up, they're going to reset the trial date.

So you can wait if you want, you can contact them to try to work something out if you want, or you can answer the lawsuit. But they can't get a judgment against you if you're not actually served, and the fact that this says you're not means that they can't move forward with the case until you are.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (over 1 HOUR) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Thank you for thourough response

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

Hello?

Again, I need you to rate this. Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it?

Please note that I don't get paid anything for the time (over 1 hour) I spent with you today unless you rate this. So if there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Thanks!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Again, please note that I need you to rate this to close it out. Did you have any other questions? If not please rate it so that I will get credit for the time and effort that I spent on your question.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney