If I signed a my lease at my apartment last week and my job…

Customer Question
If I signed a...

If I signed a my lease at my apartment last week and my job tells me this week that I will be working in west Texas because there is no work in south Texas is there a way to get out of this lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I signed the lease last Thursday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just need to know if I can get out of this lease since it's only been one week

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Does the lease have any provision allowing for early termination?

I don't have the complete lease I am in west Texas they only sent me the one page to sign. This page has a list of twelve things but I don't see any provisions allowing for early termination.l will have to wait until i go to the apartment to read the rest of the lease on 09-29-17 if there's no other way.
If when you see the lease it has a provision for early termination then you can exercise it to get out of the tenancy.
Otherwise, your lease is binding and enforceable for the lease term stated in the contract. Therefore, without a provision in the lease providing a right to early termination or landlord breach (constituting constructive eviction), you are liable for the payment of rent and other obligations specified in the agreement until the end of the lease term.
So, you have a few options. First, you can try to find a new tenant to either be a subtenant or assignee of your lease.
Next you can try to negotiate a lump-sum settlement of the remaining balance on the lease.
Finally, and most risky, you can just move out without a new tenant or settlement, and hope the landlord can relet the space quickly.
The last option puts you in breach of the lease and subject to damages if the landlord sues and prevails.
With regard to the first two options, if you find a new tenant or reach a settlement with the landlord, it is most important that the terms be in writing and signed by the parties so that it is enforceable in court.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you incur further liability spinning your wheels.
Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney