I'm looking to go to college but but over a decade ago I…

Customer Question
I'm looking to go...

I'm looking to go to college but but over a decade ago I committed a felony. I'd like to become a psychologist, however I don't know what states I'd be able to practice in if any.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

I'd like to practice in AZ,GA or Texas. It was a burglary which was pre-adjudicated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I've just started looking into it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Those were my primary concerns.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Congratulations on having such worthy goals!

It comes down to the discretion of the licensing board; generally the more serious the felony, and the more recent the felony, the more likelihood of denial.

Here is AZ law:

32-2023. Application; denial; hearing

A. An applicant for licensure or certification shall file a completed application as required by the board. The applicant shall include the application fee prescribed in section 32-2029.

B. The board may deny a license or certificate to an applicant, a licensee or a certificate holder for any of the following:

1. Knowingly making a false statement of fact required to be revealed in the initial application, renewal application or reinstatement application for a license or certificate.

2. Committing fraud in the procurement of a license or certificate.

3. Committing a felony, whether or not involving moral turpitude, or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude. In either case conviction by a court of competent jurisdiction is conclusive evidence of the commission.

http://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/32/02023.htm

Here is GA law:

43-1-19:

(a) A professional licensing board shall have the authority to refuse to grant a license to an applicant therefor or to revoke the license of a person licensed by that board or to discipline a person licensed by that board, upon a finding by a majority of the entire board that the licensee or applicant has:
.....

(3) Been convicted of any felony or of any crime involving moral turpitude in the courts of this state or any other state, territory, or country or in the courts of the United States; as used in this paragraph and paragraph (4) of this subsection, the term "felony" shall include any offense which, if committed in this state, would be deemed a felony, without regard to its designation elsewhere; and, as used in this paragraph, the term "conviction" shall include a finding or verdict of guilty or a plea of guilty, regardless of whether an appeal of the conviction has been sought;

(4) Been arrested, charged, and sentenced for the commission of any felony, or any crime involving moral turpitude, where:

(A) First offender treatment without adjudication of guilt pursuant to the charge was granted; or

(B) An adjudication of guilt or sentence was otherwise withheld or not entered on the charge, except with respect to a plea of nolo contendere.

TX's board states the following - which is nice because one can find out in advance what the board will determine based on the specifics of one's situation:

Information for Prospective Applicants with Criminal Backgrounds

Pursuant to Chapter 53 of the Texas Occupations Code and Board rule 469.7, the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists can provide an individual with a preliminary evaluation of his or her criminal background to determine if the individual's background would prevent him or her from obtaining licensure with this Board.

To request such a determination, an individual must submit a complete Application for Criminal History Evaluation Letter, along with the correct fee and any supporting documentation. The Board cannot conduct an evaluation without all of these items.

Individuals who intend to to submit an Application for Criminal History Evaluation Letter should wait until they have submitted the application before completing their fingerprint criminal history check. The Board is prohibited by state and federal law from accessing an individual’s criminal history record information until that individual has submitted an application. Individuals who obtain their fingerprint criminal history check prior to submitting an application will be removed from the Board’s access que in the DPS system and may suffer delays in the evaluation process as a result thereof.

The Application for Criminal History Evaluation Letter is available for download from the Board's Forms webpage.

https://www.tsbep.texas.gov/how-to-become-licensed

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer