My mom has an high credit card debt and can't afford to pay…

Customer Question
My mom has an...

My mom has an high credit card debt and can't afford to pay it off, what is best recommended in this situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

NY and she's been paying off minimum but it's too much for her to pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just this thank you. Are these just free questions and answers?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Consumer Protection Lawyers require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

I'll come back thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

She is looking at Chapter 7 bankruptcy here and a fresh start.Sounds like she is in too deep to pay these off anytime soon.I would strongly consider doing this.She can file herself pro se.

Forms

http://www.nynb.uscourts.gov/?q=News/pro-se-petitioners-packet

Here’s a list of the forms most people need when they file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Some of these, however, may not apply to your case. For example, if you are not requested a filing fee waiver, you won’t need to fill out Form B 3BA Application for Waiver of Chapter 7 Filing Fee.

B 101 Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy

B 101A Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

B 101B Statement About Payment of an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

B 103B Application to Have Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived

B 106 Summary of Your Assets and Liabilities and Certain Statistical Information

B 106A/B Schedule A/B: Property

B 106C Schedule C: The Property You Claim as Exempt

B 106D Schedule D: Creditors Who Hold Claims Secured by Property

B 106E/F Schedule E/F: Creditors Who Have Unsecured Claims

B 106G Schedule G:Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases

B 106H Schedule H: Your Codebtors

B 106I Schedule I: Your Income

B 106J Schedule J: Your Expenses

B 106J-2 Schedule J-2: Expenses for Separate Household of Debtor 2

B 107 Your Statement of Financial Affairs for individuals Filing Bankruptcy

B 108 Statement of Intention for Individuals Filing Under Chapter 7

B 121 Your Statement About Your Social Security Numbers

B 122A-1 Chapter 7 Statement of Current Monthly Income

B 122A-1 Supp Statement of Exemption from Presumption of Abuse (only if you qualify for an exception to the means test)

B 122A-2 Chapter 7 Means Test Calculation (only if your income is above the state median income)

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck with Chapter 7.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.