My daughters husband has been to driving her car to work…

Customer Question
My daughters husband has...

My daughters husband has been to driving her car to work while she was pregnant. She delivered this past Tuesday and will be going back to work, He had his own car but it was totaled but not replaced. He currently does not have insurance coverage, He is assuming he will be addedd to her policyishas not gotten

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

They live in PA (Hunterdon County) Her car in a 2016 Toyota However had not finished my initial E=mail. (There's more relevant issues)

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know. Her has not been forthcoming with information about ther accident nor the status re: liability in the incident and it effects (if any) on his license, etc That makes me suspicious.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Therefore. I worry about the potential implications if he starts to drive my daughter's car on a regular basis. (background worry is the fact that he has had alcohol problems

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Congratulations on your new grandchild!

The immediate problem here is that he's not insured on the car, which means he's committing a crime every time he drives. If he is stopped for speeding (or any other reason, no matter how minor), he will be charged with driving without insurance. The police officer will have discretion to have the car towed and take him to the police station to be picked up. And that creates a bigger problem, since your daughter won't be able to go pick him up if he got her car impounded. Impound lots aren't cheap, and fees add up fast. It could cost hundreds of dollars to get the car back.

If he's drinking and driving, then there's the added problem of him potentially getting arrested for that. And if he causes an accident, he will be responsible. Your daughter could be found negligent for allowing her husband to drive the car (a) knowing he wasn't insured and (b) knowing he has an alcohol problem. She could get sued along with him.

That was my primary concern. However, he has refused provide info to obtain

If he's refusing to give her the information she needs to add him as a driver on the insurance, then she can refuse to let him drive the car.

Technically, she could report him for driving without insurance, but there are a lot of practical problems with that. It's not easy to testify against a spouse.

Do you have any other questions about this? I wasn't able to call due to an issue with your payment, but you should have been contacted by customer service to resolve it.