I am a landlord and I have filed an eviction on my tenant.

Customer Question
I am a landlord...

I am a landlord and I have filed an eviction on my tenant. They have moved and paid the back rent. My problem is they did a lot of damage to my property. Am I legally required to file a dismissal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The only thing filed was the eviction.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: If the basis of the eviction was the failure to pay rent, accepting the repayment results in a dismissal of the eviction claim by the courts. Moreover, they've moved out, which is the whole purpose of the eviction.

But you can deduct from the security deposit for reimbursement of actual damages that are not the result of ordinary wear and tear; for the amount of damages that the landlord has suffered or will reasonably suffer by reason of the tenant’s noncompliance with law or the rental agreement; and for any unpaid utility or sewer charges that the tenant is obligated to pay under the rental agreement.

Within 45 days of termination of the occupancy, you need to provide an itemized list of damages with a money order for the difference between the damages claimed and the original amount of security deposit.

If the deposit doesn't cover it and the amount in dispute is less than $6000, then you need to file suit in small claims court.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!