I own a house that my father lives in. He used to own it but…

Customer Question
I own a house...

I own a house that my father lives in. He used to own it but signed it over to me 2 years ago. Now, he has let my sister move in and I do not approve. What are my options for getting her out of the house? The house and land are solely in my name. There is no type of agreement, lease, etc. Nothing verbal and nothing written. Surry County, NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, I was just curious as to what my legal options are. I don't want to do things incorrectly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. From a legal standpoint, if you are the owner at this time, you can decide who is legally allowed to stay there. If you do not want her there, you can ask her to vacate and if she refuses, provide her with at least a 30 day written notice to vacate. If she still remains after the notice expires, you could then proceed through the court and evict her. Even though your father may have owed the home in the past, if he does not own it at this time, he can not give her permission to stay and allow her to stay, if you object, as the owner.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!