I have the girl next to me who makes noise all evening. I…

Customer Question
I have the girl...

I have the girl next to me who makes noise all evening. I have told the landlord about this but they will not do anything about it . help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Conn

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I wrote two lettetrs to them, should i go to the police, this have been going on for 6 months

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have call 5 times ion the phone about this, I also have been keeping a nise log.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

Any time she's exceeding the maximum permissible decibels for your area, you can call the police and file a report. There are phone apps that will help you measure sound for this purpose. Decibels tend to be regulated by city or county ordinance. Check to see if you can find them online. If not, a police officer might be able to tell you what the limits are.

The other option is to sue the neighbor for nuisance. A person has an obligation to use and enjoy their property in a way that it doesn't interfere with the neighbor. If she's over the sound limits allowed by law, then she'll be considered to be interfering with your use - that's why the limits exist.

If police issue a noise ordinance violation and she pays it, then she will automatically be found liable in a civil case because of the different standards of proof.

You can seek up to $5,000 in Small Claims Court, which does not require a lawyer. They have forms and instructions online, which should help:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/smallclaims.html

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.