I had a caregiver for my dad who I paid in advance. I found…

Customer Question
I had a caregiver...

I had a caregiver for my dad who I paid in advance . I found her under the influence of alcohol for 3 days n passed out most of the time. I took her on my vacation. She ruined my trip n is now sueing me for promissory estoppel for the boat n another ticket to hawaii . I want to sue her back for promissory estoppel of her promise to take care of my dad n our tickets

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She was paid in advance for July of caregiving n I paid another advance for a kayak in exchange for august. We don't want an caregiver who is under the influence taking care of my 82 old dad . our return flight was July 27. She owes me July overpaid n we r holding the kayak as she did not work in aug

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes she is sueing in small claims

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2017
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 8 months ago
retireddebra

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 8 months ago

I am sorry to hear this.

What province is this in please?

What are her grounds as set out in her claim?

What is you question please?

California
I purchased a kayak myself n I stated you should get one too. ...
I have a witnesses of her not working n sleeping n r doing declarations for me to counter sue her for her promissorry estoppel of her promise to take care of my dad so I could have a break w my husband
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 8 months ago

The question was posted on the Canada law list.

I will ask the site to move this over to the US law list.

Thanks

Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
US expert here. Typically in these situations the employment ends. If she owes you money or caused injury you can pursue a claim! You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Await

awaiting your reply, thank you.

Tina, Lawyer