My desceased father's medical collection account was

Customer Question
My desceased father's medical...

My desceased father's medical collection account was attached to my credit, it this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

CA he died 2/29/2015 it was first attached to my credit 11/2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

You mean the collection company?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is no, unless you agreed to assume the debts of your father. Generally, the collections agency can only collect from the estate of the deceased person. If you were not provided services or if you did not make a promise to pay, then you will not be required to pay under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692(e), it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. In the future, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter (click here) for all collection attempts under the FDCPA. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they continue, then you should file a complaint with the FTC regarding their action.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.