I have a notarized copy of my fathers will. His attorney can…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a notarized copy of my fathers will. His attorney can not find the original. Can this still be an informal probabte without the original in maha Nebraska?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No sir.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What happens if a sibling not mentioned in the will contests it during formal probabte?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nebraska

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/14/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No this will require formal probate you cannot meet the requirements for informal since you lack the original.Here is the law for refernce

Chapter 30 Section 2414

30-2414.

Informal probate or appointment proceedings; application; contents.

Applications for informal probate or informal appointment shall be directed to the registrar and verified by the applicant to be accurate and complete to the best of his knowledge and belief as to the following information:

(1) Every application for informal probate of a will or for informal appointment of a personal representative, other than a special or successor representative, shall contain the following:

(i) a statement of the interest of the applicant;

(ii) the name and date of death of the decedent, his age, and the county and state of his domicile at the time of death, and the names and addresses of the spouse, children, heirs and devisees and the ages of any who are minors so far as known or ascertainable with reasonable diligence by the applicant;

(iii) if the decedent was not domiciled in the state at the time of his death, a statement showing venue;

(iv) a statement identifying and indicating the address of any personal representative of the decedent appointed in this state or elsewhere whose appointment has not been terminated;

(v) a statement indicating whether the applicant has received a demand for notice or is aware of any demand for notice of any probate or appointment proceeding concerning the decedent that may have been filed in this state or elsewhere.

(2) An application for informal probate of a will shall state the following in addition to the statements required by (1):

(i) that the original of the decedent's last will is in the possession of the court, or accompanies the application, or that an authenticated copy of a will probated in another jurisdiction accompanies the application;

(ii) that the applicant, to the best of his knowledge, believes the will to have been validly executed; and

(iii) that after the exercise of reasonable diligence the applicant is unaware of any instrument revoking the will, and that the applicant believes that the instrument which is the subject of the application is the decedent's last will.

(3) An application for informal appointment of a personal representative to administer an estate under a will shall describe the will by date of execution and state the time and place of probate or the pending application or petition for probate. The application for appointment shall adopt the statements in the application or petition for probate and state the name, address and priority for appointment of the person whose appointment is sought.

(4) An application for informal appointment of an administrator in intestacy shall state in addition to the statements required by (1):

(i) that after the exercise of reasonable diligence the applicant is unaware of any unrevoked testamentary instrument relating to property having a situs in this state under section 30-2210, or a statement why any such instrument of which he may be aware is not being probated;

(ii) the priority of the person whose appointment is sought and the names of any other persons having a prior or equal right to the appointment under section 30-2412.

(5) An application for appointment of a personal representative to succeed a personal representative appointed under a different testacy status shall refer to the order in the most recent testacy proceeding, state the name and address of the person whose appointment is sought and of the person whose appointment will be terminated if the application is granted, and describe the priority of the applicant.

(6) An application for appointment of a personal representative to succeed a personal representative who has tendered a resignation as provided in section 30-2453(c), or whose appointment has been terminated by death or removal, shall adopt the statements in the application or petition which led to the appointment of the person being succeeded except as specifically changed or corrected, state the name and address of the person who seeks appointment as successor, and describe the priority of the applicant.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/browse-chapters.php?chapter=30

You are going to need local probate lawyer to apply for formal probate and to gather witnesses to prove up the copy and search for original.It is possible to admit a copy of will in formal probate.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.