I was at a place of business where My car was pinned in the…

Customer Question
I was at a...

I was at a place of business where My car was pinned in the lot by somebody's parked car. It took me five minutes to get out of that lot. Out of anger, O spat on the hood of the car and drove off. The place has cameras. This is in a rural area in Illinois. Can I be charged with property damage?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Illinois, 15 20 year old chevy economic car

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, this just happens 30 min ago.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is probably not. Generally, under the torts of conversion and trespass to chattels, the parties have to prove that they suffered some damage through the substantial dominion and control or possession of their property. Spitting on the hood would probably not lead to a finding against you simply because spit can be cleaned off easily and there is no damage. The same goes for any criminal issues. They would have to show that there is a damage done and spit is hardly enough to cause damage. Thus, it is highly unlikely you would suffer civil or criminal liability.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.