Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

I have a commercial lease and it contains three 3yr renewal

Customer Question

Hi I have a commercial lease and it contains three 3yr renewal options. The method of notice is 90 days through certified mail to renew, which i already gave them.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Besides my option to renew the lease is short and simple. No mention of drafting a new lease to be signed or determining fair market value, or any mention of arbitration, just that I have 3 renewal options. My question is, if there is no mention of determing new rent or devising a new lease, etc, can they raise rent if everything suggests its an extension not a renewal? ...its in Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nope nothing filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that the only thing in the lease is that the rent should be 'mutually agreed upon by landlord and tenant'
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your legal question today. I'm attorney Bill an experienced litigation attorney. If the renewal option is contained in the lease and you have executed the renewal by giving the stipulated and express notice requirements then you are entitled to the renewal as per contract.

This comes down to an interpretation of contract question; if you have a copy of the contract you can send it through the website to me for an extra service and premium review.

Just send it through.

If the landlord isn't allowing you to renew the option per contract you will have a civil action for breach of contract in civil court against the landlord.

This involves filing a civil complaint bill.

Just a reminder to rate positively today.

As I'm not an employee of justanswer I rely on your positive feedback.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much is it to look at the actual document? My main concern is if they can raise the rent on me legally and by how much, if there is no specification on how the 'mutually agreed between landlord and tenant' is stated. the exact line is 'base rent shall be at a rate mutually agreed to between Lessor and Leesee'
If you send it through the website I can make an offer.
Commercial leases are by contract so the terms of the increase must comply with the contract or will be reopen to negotiation.
Just a reminder to rate my previous answer.
A positive rating gives me a credit for my time.
Thanks
Attorney Bill