How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5171
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I registered and insured a car for my boyfriend. We've now

This answer was rated:

I registered and insured a car for my boyfriend. We've now broken up and he refuses to switch over the title or give me back the plate. Is there anything that I can do legally to get myself out of this situation?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: The car is registered in PA. It's old - I think 1998 Honda Civic.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't think so

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.
I'm at work so I'd rather not talk on the phone about this right now.

No problemo.

Let me ask, was your name on the original title along with his? Or was it just your name?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just my name
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has the title too.

I see what you mean.

Thank you very much for your patience on this. the short answer is that if he is not returning property that belongs to you than ease could be liable for what's called conversion. conversion is just basically a legal theory that says somebody has exhibited substantial dominion in control over your property. In this case, if the title is only in your name and he won't return the vehicle, then you may be able to sue him in court for Return of the property. You could also request that he provide you the reasonable rental value of the time that he kept the vehicle beyond the time that you requested it back. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter in lieu of litigation. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's not going to respond to a letter... he is avoiding me... he won't even answer phone calls.

Then you may want to consider either a) calling the Sheriff's department to get your car back or b) bringing a law suit in small claims court to demand that you get the vehicle back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Thankfully, you have a very solid cause of action here. Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I have something in writing like a text or email getting him to say he's not giving back the plates?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or the car. I honestly don't want the car. Just don't want the responsibility of insuring it or having my name on it. Liabilities etc.

That won't be necessary for him to say he's not giving it back; the fact he's not giving it back is enough if you were to call the sheriff's department or if you sued him. Even if you don't get the car back, you should at least get possession of it back which gives you the right to get it out of your name. You may want to consider selling him the car as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last question I hope. I'm in PA and he is in Staten Island NY or NJ. I was going to call the sherif in NY but if I file a case in court should I do that in PA?

Good question. You would have to file where the defendant is in this case, which would be NY/NJ.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks again

You bet!!

Legal Eagle and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you