Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

Evcition, colorado, yes, give me a second

Customer Question

evcition
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: give me a second
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer ,

This is attorney Bill offering assistance .

What is your eviction law question in the State of Colorado today ?

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
security deposit and fees

The security deposit minus damage to the property should be returned no less than 30 days after expiration of the lease or 60 days where 60 days is specifically specified in the lease.

This is a statutory requirement :

"(1) A landlord shall, within one month after the termination of a lease or surrender and acceptance of the premises, whichever occurs last, return to the tenant the full security deposit deposited with the landlord by the tenant, unless the lease agreement specifies a longer period of time, but not to exceed sixty days. No security deposit shall be retained to cover normal wear and tear. In the event that actual cause exists for retaining any portion of the security deposit, the landlord shall provide the tenant with a written statement listing the exact reasons for the retention of any portion of the security deposit. When the statement is delivered, it shall be accompanied by payment of the difference between any sum deposited and the amount retained. The landlord is deemed to have complied with this section by mailing said statement and any payment required to the last known address of the tenant. Nothing in this section shall preclude the landlord from retaining the security deposit for nonpayment of rent, abandonment of the premises, or nonpayment of utility charges, repair work, or cleaning contracted for by the tenant."

Damage to the property can be retained but otherwise needs to be returned minus the damage costs.

The tenant can follow up in the small claims court on the security deposit if not returned.

I'm not an employee of justanswer but an independent expert.

So please take the time to rate positively before exiting.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate GREAT SERVICE today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill