How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5191
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question serving a summons to a police officer that

Customer Question

Hello, question serving a summons to a police officer that investigated an auo accident.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: New York, Aug.15th 2017
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The accident report the P/O made lacks important information but he dont want speak to me for the sake of amending the report. He refused to see me 3 times, what to do.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I have attempted to help a client in the past get a police report corrected so I have some experience in this area. What I have learned is that the police are not obligated to make any changes to their police report unless they believe that there is a reason to do so. If you've been refused already, there is unfortunately not anything that you could do in this situation. To give you some perspective, I contacted a division Commander with the California Highway Patrol to help get an accident report corrected for one of my clients and before I did that I researched the law and I researched the chances for a report to be corrected legally, but I was unable to find any support. The commander also told me that they weren't going to be making any changes in that my arguments, which were considerable, were not persuasive. I'm very sorry I wish I had some different information for you. Please don't shoot the messenger, but unfortunately the report won't be changed unless the police agree to do so. One thing you could do is continue to request that it be changed or maybe you could find additional evidence that you believe would be helpful. Basically, do your best to try to give to me good reason to make the change. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.