How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5235
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wondering if you are suddenly named on a will to

This answer was rated:

I am wondering if you are suddenly named on a will to inherit a portion of a will but at the same time you also have a judgement against the person you are inheriting from as well as part of an estate that also has a judgement against the person. Do you then receive the dispersement from the will and then close out your judgement against the person before the estate then takes their portion of the judgement?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hawaii
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We are working on getting copies of the will. But we do have the judgement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

This seems like a complicated situation, but I can help you out. Whether you or anyone else has an outstanding judgment against a person, it may not affect your ability to receive anything under the will.. The only reason that anything would be affected is if the person becomes insolvent at some point and no longer has the property that they intended to leave you in the will. Thus, you will not have to close out your judgment at all for any reason because the two issues are separate.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Very interesting. I would appreciate a phone call but I am going to put you in touch with my husband who is named in this case. He needs a little clarification and his number is(###) ###-#### He should be available in the next 30 minutes.

Hi, I wouldn't mind a phone call at all, but please remember that it is $59 extra. It is certainly optional, but it's well worth it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not at this time. We will go on what you had to say at this point. Thank you very much!

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you