How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30337
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get my money back from a lawyer that was a no show

Customer Question

How do I get my money back from a lawyer that was a no show at my hearing.
JA: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.
Customer: Do I get an answer or not?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I went for a domestic hearing and the lawyer I paid never showed and I got the shaft.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

How much did you pay the lawyer? Was the agreement for hourly work, a flat rate, or on contingency?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2000.00 a flat rate
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you are all the same.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm confused. Are you saying you don't want an answer from me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got tired of waiting. I'll take your advice.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

Since you paid him to do the work and he didn't do it, you're entitled to a refund. He may be allowed to keep some of the money for the work he did do, but he wouldn't get the full amount of he missed the hearing. The first step is often a demand letter to see if you can come to an agreement about what he owes you. That's not required, but it can help.

For $2,000, you're within the Small Claims Court limit. Most Small Claims cases in Florida are resolved with a mediator, not in front of a judge. Your local court will have forms you can fill out to start a case, and you're allowed to ask for the lawyer to reimburse your filing fees as part of your damages. Here is more information on the process.

If you lost the case because your lawyer didn't show up and you couldn't get a continuance, you may also have a claim for malpractice. Malpractice damages are the money you lost because your lawyer failed to meet the standard of care he owed you as a client. That could include the cost of hiring another lawyer to fix the problem, if it's fixable, or other damages.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any questions about this?