I owe about $12000 in CC bills and have not been able to…

Customer Question
Hi. I owe...

Hi. I owe about $12000 in CC bills and have not been able to work due to an illness. I am looking for advice on how to move forward.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes. I am in Maine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I am getting about 12 calls per day from the companies from different phone numbers and am about 4 months behind in my payments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I own my house outright and believe that I would lose it if I filed bankrupcy (which I don't want to do).

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/14/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you tell me how much the home is worth?.

.

Do you have minor dependents?

.

Do you have family locally?

.

Have you looked into a possible equity line to tap into the equity in your home to pay the debts off?

.

.

thanks

My house is worth about $125,000. I have no minors. My family does live locally. I am quite sure I cannot get credit due to my late CC payments bringing down my credit score,

Ok, that presents a problem because Maine only has an exemption for $47,500 for an owner if there are no minor children in the household. So the house would potentially be at risk here even without a bankruptcy because the creditors could sue you, get a judgment, and then foreclose on that judgment and force a sale of the house to pay the judgments..

.

With that said, you might want to consider deeding your home over to a trusted relative to get it out of your name so it wouldn't be subject to creditors if they filed suit.

.

That kind of leaves you with the only option of trying to settle the accounts with creditors and get on some type of payment plan with them that you can afford. You can tell them that you have been sick and may have to file BK to discharge the debts if you can't work out a payment plan. They know they get nothing if you actually filed BK, so that gives them an incentive to work with you..

.

.

thanks