Is there a fee at this website? I'm concerned about

Customer Question
Is there a fee...

Is there a fee at this website? I'm concerned about something our attorney billed us for.

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'd have to know what the fee would be. It seems strange that every time we TRY to get legal help to free us from a tenants in common situation we've been trying to get out of for 41 YEARS, our attorneys end up trying to work around going through a partition action in court - wondering if they are being intimidated - and don't want to go bankrupt going to "new" attorneys. Live in the state of Colorado.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Present attorney used to work for the county planning division and says he's working through them to "save us money" - but he accepted a phone call from our "partner" who FINALLY got her own attorney as instructed, but he's billing US for talking to HER, in which conversation she spent time highly criticizing us for the R.E. broker we had that tried for 22 months to sell our one half interest into the mountain property and OUR cabin, now he's billing us for HER call to him - which he shouldn't have accepted since she has a lawyer in Denver. But I have NO IDEA what they are doing and on what timeline, so do not know if ANYTHING has been filed - she finally agreed to sign the "Application" agreeing to split - after we had already had two other attorneys, that referred us on when it came time to file for a partition action - we can't just keep on this way - she's doing SOMETHING to cause them to move us ON to other attorneys, trying to use up our funds set aside to try to legally get out of this tenants in common thing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are both 80 years old - she is 78 and her husband died in 2014. He had Alzheimer's and she cared for him herself. She seldom went to their cabin WITH him, but is now obtaining sympathy from everyone because "of the memories" (which is a 'crock', because she wouldn't go spend time up there with him, preferred being w/the grandchildren, or going on trips with the 'women's church group' - he usually went ALONE to the cabin - we have no idea WHY this keeps getting referred to another attorney - and we lost our 401K's in 2008 - I (the wife) developed altitude sickness 5 years ago above 7,000 ft. and the cabin is near 9,000 ft. elev, plus now my husband needs CPAP and we are "off the grid" so difficult to use the cabin and NEED the money from selling out our one half tenants in common interest - concerned attorneys may be taking advantage and we have LITTLE left - we have half interest in 39 acres, their cabin at NW corner, ours at SW corner - they agreed to sign a split application years ago, and then WOULD NOT DO IT - finally, with us filing the partition action, SHE said she would sign a split application, supposedly the Mesa County Land Planning Division is "working" to see if we can split the property, but I've read it and it says we have to go through a "major subdivision" process - think we are getting the run-around.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
The call our (former) attorney is billing US for was FROM our "tenants in common partner" to HIM, which he shouldn't have accepted, since she has her own attorney - I emailed him yesterday stating we will NEVER be reimbursed by HER for the amount he charged us. BUT......he is ONE of the attorneys that has now "moved us on" to another attorney in this law firm with 24 attorneys!
9/14/2017
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

I have read your intro. Please state the specific legal question you would like answered. As to whether the lawyer can bill you for a phone call with your opponent, you are correct that if your opponent currently has an attorney, then he/she should not be talking to your opponent other than to say: "I cannot discuss this matter with you since you have an attorney." If your opponent does not currently have an attorney, then you lawyer can freely speak to your opponent.

Did this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney